Compare broadband providers and deals
- Compare the latest offers from the leading providers in the UK
- Choose the best deal
- Buy online to save your money
(Enter your postcode)
TalkTalk Essentials with calls- 12 months half price plus £50 Love2Shop voucher. Just £3.25 per month.
Plusnet Essentials with calls- 9 months half price. Just £2.99 per month.
Sky Unlimited broadband and calls- Free for 6 months. Saves £60. For limited time only.
BT Unlimited broadband and calls- 6 months free plus £25 gift card. Saves £171. For limited time only.
See more deals
The speeds you would need depend upon what applications/programs you are about to use online.
- To browse, receive emails, stream music and download small files, you would need 1Mbps – 2Mbps connection. DSL/cable/mobile broadband can be used.
- To view standard video online without buffering, you should have faster download speeds in the range of speeds 2Mbps – 4Mbps. DSL and cable broadband are suitable
- You would need very fast connection with actual speed of 8Mbps+ for large file/movie downloads, streaming high definition videos and real-time online gaming. Fibre optic broadband is ideal for these applications. Faster ADSL 2+ and cable are also fine.
- If you need to upload large data and files, make sure that you get faster upload speeds too, because most connections come with upload speeds much slower than download speeds.
(Note: Advertised broadband speeds come with pre-fix ‘up to’. This means, the actual speed you receive will be much lower than this speed. For instance, ‘up to 14Mbps’ ADSL 2+ connection could offer just 7 – 8Mbps to users who live within 5 km from the exchange.)
Download time for applications
|Speed||1Mp3||30 minutes standard video||A DVD movie|
|4Mbps||16 seconds||18 minutes||2 hours 40 minutes|
|16Mbps||4 seconds||10 minutes||40 minutes|
|40Mbps||2 seconds||4 minutes||15 minutes|
How much data would I need a month?
Light users who occasionally download or stream/download videos, would need 10GB or more. 40GB is safe if you use internet daily for browsing, Youtube and occasional film downloads. If you frequently download large files, stream/download movies or share connection with others in your family/office, 100GB + usage or unlimited plan is ideal.
|User type||Emails per day||Mp3′s per week||Video clips per week||Online gaming per week||Usage needed per month|
|Light user||30||20||15||3 hours||Minimum 10GB|
|Regular user||60||30||15||15 hours||30GB – 50GB|
|Heavy user||100+||60||60||30+ hours||100GB or Unlimited|