Plusnet offers reliable broadband, cheaper fibre plans and award-winning customer service, making it one of our top picks for value for money and affordable prices from the UK’s leading broadband providers.
- Plusnet fibre broadband deals are more affordable than similar deals offered by BT and Sky.
- Plusnet recently launched its ultrafast (145Mbps – 500Mbps) plans at competitive prices.
- Plusnet is owned by BT, allowing it to offer mobile services over EE’s network, which is also owned by BT.
- Reliable speeds and excellent customer service.
- Affordable ultrafast plans
- Packages are cheaper compared to BT, Virgin Media and Sky.
- Flexible 12 month & 18 month contracts
- You can’t get TV bundles
There are three widely available Plusnet broadband plans – Unlimited (10Mbps), Unlimited Fibre (35Mbps) and Unlimited Fibre Extra (66Mbps).
Additionally, Plusnet offers some full fibre plans as shown in the table below:
| PAYG calls |
|PAYG calls |
Offer: £70 Reward card
|Unlimited Fibre Extra|
|PAYG calls |
Offer: £70 Reward card
|Full Fibre 74|
|Free setup||£24.99 |
|Full Fibre 145|
|Free setup||£29.99 |
|Full Fibre 500|
|Free setup||£39.99 |
- In addition to the free setup, selected plans also come with a £70 rewards card. Offer ends 31st August 2022.
- All Plusnet broadband packages include a free WiFi router and landline connection. Includes pay-as-you-go calls.
- You can add evening and weekend calls or calls anytime. You can also add an international call plan if needed.
Plusnet Unlimited is an ADSL plan with an average download speed of 10Mbps and an average upload speed of 1Mbps. While slower than fibre plans, Plusnet Unlimited is great for browsing and YouTube streaming on a single device.
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre has an average download speed of 36 Mbit/s and an average upload speed of 9 Mbit/s. Significantly faster than standard broadband, helping you stream HD video and connect multiple devices.
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra has an average download speed of 66 Mbit/s and an average upload speed of 18 Mbit/s. Fibre Extra is perfect for busy households with multiple devices. You get enough speed to download large files faster and stream HD and 4K videos without buffering.
Plusnet offers the Basic Hub Zero Router (Plusnet 2704n) to Unlimited plan customers (ADSL). It’s perfect for ADSL speeds and has 4 ethernet connections, WPS settings and a WiFi button.
Plusnet Fibre customers receive the Hub One router, a dual-band AC wireless router with 4 gigabit connections.
Plusnet Hub One features USB connectivity and Smart Scan for faster fibre speeds for all connected devices.
In addition to PAYG calls, Plusnet offers free calls to Plusnet support and other Plusnet landline numbers, but customers can upgrade to the following calling plans if needed:
- Evening, weekend, UK and mobile calls
- Unlimited UK and mobile calls
- Anytime International 300 – Includes 300 anytime minutes + 25% discount on calls to 35 international destinations.
Plusnet offers a basic TV service, including Freeview and entertainment channels, which can be viewed using the YouView+ box.
The main highlight is that Plusnet TV includes BT Sport 1 channel.
You can add more channels and HD channels by subscribing to the add-ons. You can also get all BT Sport channels through add-ons.
However, Plusnet TV may not be the best choice for TV lovers accustomed to watching premium channels from Sky, BT and Virgin Media.
Plusnet Mobile offers 4G based SIM-only mobile plans with extra data for its broadband customers.
Operated by EE, the UK’s largest mobile network, Plusnet Mobile has so far expanded coverage to 99% of the UK.
No lengthy, but 30-day contracts apply. When your plan runs out of data, you can simply purchase bolt-ons for extra use, whether it’s internet access, calls, or texting.
- All mobile plans come with a 30 day contract
- Plusnet provides mobile services over EE’s 4G network, which has 95% coverage in the UK.
- No additional charges for tethering
- Plusnet Mobile plans offer discounts and data boost to Plusnet broadband customers.
- UK based customer service is available 365 days a year.
Is Plusnet any good?
For many quarters, Plusnet has been known as a reputable broadband supplier with more satisfied customers than its competitors.
According to Ofcom’s 2021 Customer Satisfaction Report, Plusnet has higher customer satisfaction (81%) than other providers.
Here are the facts from Ofcom’s latest broadband surveys in 2019 and 2020:
Here are the facts from Ofcom’s latest broadband survey for 2019 and 2020:
- Over three quarters of Plusnet customers (86%) are satisfied with Plusnet, according to an Ofcom report published in January 2020
- According to Ofcom’s Broadband Speed Report 2019, Plusnet’s Unlimited (with an average speed of 10Mbps) delivered an actual speed of 12.9Mbps during peak hours
- Plusnet Fibre Unlimited (36MB average) had an actual speed of 32.8Mbps.
- Plunset Fibre Extra (with an average speed of 66MB) had an average speed of 61Mbps.
- In terms of broadband and phone complaints, Plusnet generated slightly more complaints in the third quarter of 2019, according to Ofcom.
Over-all, Plusnet offers affordable broadband and phone service and great customer service, while Plusnet fibre broadband plans are very cheap compared to Virgin Media, BT and Sky and offer big savings.
How to switch to Plusnet?
- After choosing the Plusnet package that suits you best, complete the signup process online. You will be informed of the activation date.
- If you are switching from BT, TalkTalk or Sky or ADSL or fibre provider, Plusnet usually takes 10 business days to complete the switch.
- If you are leaving Virgin Media, you will need to contact your cable broadband provider and cancel your existing service, which will run until the end of the cancellation period (up to 1 month).
- When you switch from Virgin Media, Plusnet engineers install a new phone line at your location and activate broadband service.