Plusnet offers reliable broadband, cheaper fibre packages and the award-winning customer service so it is one of our best picks from the leading UK broadband providers for value for money and affordable pricing.
Plusnet fibre broadband deals are excellent money savers, when compared to BT and Sky.
Plusnet also offers money-saving call plans, while its basic TV service comes with BT Sport, freeview channels and optional add-ons at competitive pricing.
Plusnet is owned by BT and this allows you to offer mobile service using the network of EE which is also owned by BT.
10Mb average speed
Offer: Free setup +
£60 Reward card
Cost: £18.99 p/m
36Mb average speed
Offer: Free setup +
£60 Reward card
Cost: £22.99 p/m
Unlimited Fibre Extra
66Mb average speed
Offer: Free setup +
£65 Reward card
Cost: £24.99 p/m
There are three Plusnet broadband packages – Unlimited (10Mbps), Unlimited Fibre (35Mbps) and Unlimited Fibre Extra (66Mbps).
- All the deals come with free setup and reward cards of worth up to £70
- All Plusnet broadband packages come with a free WiFi router and home phone line. You get pay as you go calls with the cheapest Plusnet line only packages.
- However, you can add evening & weekend calls or anytime UK calls. You can also add international call plan which comes with calling minutes for selected destinations.
Plusnet offers ADSL as well as fibre broadband packages with speed ranging from 10Mbps to 66Mbps.
- Plusnet Unlimited is ADSL plan which comes with 10Mbps average download speed and 1Mbps average upload speed. Although the speeds are slower than fibre plans, Plusnet Unlimited is suitable for browsing and YouTube streaming on a single device.
Plusnet fibre packages two different speeds.
- Plusnet Unlimited Fibre offers 36Mbps average download speed and 9Mbps average upload speed. Speeds are significantly faster than standard broadband and helps you stream HD videos and connect multiple devices.
- Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra comes with 66Mbps average download speed and 18Mbps average upload speed. Fibre Extra is ideal for busy households with multiple devices.
All Plusnet broadband packages come with truly unlimited usage, no download limits and no traffic management during peak times.
Plusnet does not slow down your connection speeds at any time.
Plusnet offers the basic Hub Zero router (Plusnet 2704n) to standard, Unlimited (ADSL) customers. It is ideal for ADSL speeds and comes with 4 ethernet connections, WPS setup and WiFi button.
Plusnet Fibre customers get Hub One router which is dual band wireless ac router with 4 gigabit connections.
Plusnet Hub One comes with an USB port and smart scan feature to offer faster fibre speeds to all the connected devices.
While Plusnet offers free calls to Plusnet Support and other Plusnet landline numbers with all broadband packages, customers can upgrade it to following call plans:
- Evening, weekend, UK and mobile calls
- Unlimited UK and mobile calls
- Anytime International 300 – Includes 300 anytime minutes + 25% discount on calls to 35 international destinations.
Plusnet offers a kind of basic TV service which includes freeview and entertainment channels and can be viewed using YouView+ box.
Main highlight is, Plusnet TV includes BT Sport 1 channel.
You can add more channels & HD channels by subscribing to add-ons. You can also get all BT Sport channels with an add-on.
However, Plusnet TV could not be the best option of TV lovers who are used to watching the premium channels from Sky, BT and Virgin Media.
Plusnet Mobile offers 4G based SIM only mobile plans which come with extra data for its broadband customers.
Plusnet Mobile is powered by EE, the UK’s largest mobile network and the coverage has been extended to 99% of the UK till date.
There is no lengthy but just 30 days contract with straight forward mobile packages. When your plan runs out of data, you can just buy bolt-ons for extra usage, whether for internet access or calls or texts.
- All mobile plans come with 30 day contract
- Plusnet offers its mobile service via EE’s 4G network which has 90%+ coverage across the UK.
- No extra cost for tethering
- Plusnet Mobile plans offer discounts and data boost to Plusnet broadband customers.
- UK based customer service is available on all 365 days a year.
How to switch to Plusnet?
After a choosing Plusnet package that best suits you, sign up online. You will be informed of activation date.
If you move from BT or TalkTalk or Sky or ADSL or fibre based provider, Plusnet usually takes 10 working days to complete switching.
If you move from Virgin Media, you will need to contact the cable broadband provider and cancel the existing service which would run till the end of notice period (up to 1 month).
When you switch from Virgin Media, Plusnet engineers will install new phone line and activate broadband service at your premise.
Lack of ultrafast plans
Plusnet TV offers freeview channels but does not offer a range of TV & broadband packages like Sky, Virgin Media and BT
Plusnet has been quite known as a reputed provider with more number of satisfied customers than its rivals for over many quarters.
According to Ofcom customer satisfaction report 2021, Plusnet has more satisfied customers (81%) than other providers.
Here are the facts from Ofcom’s latest broadband surveys in 2019 and 2020:
- More than three-fourths of Plusnet customers (86%) are happy with Plusnet, according to Ofcom report published in January, 2020
- According to Ofcom broadband speed report 2019, Plusnet’s Unlimited (10Mbps avg. speed) offered real-world speed of 12.9Mbps during peak times
- Plusnet Fibre Unlimited (36Mb average speed) delivered real world speed of 32.8Mbps speed.
- Plunset Fibre Extra (66Mb average speed) offered the average speed of 61Mbps.
- In terms of broadband and phone complaints, Plusnet generated slightly higher volume of complaints in Q3 2019, according to Ofcom.
Over-all, Plusnet offers low-cost broadband and phone service with great customer service while Plusnet fibre broadband plans are super-affordable and great money savers, when compared to Virgin Media, BT and Sky.